THE MELVILLE CHARITABLE TRUST
The Melville Charitable Trust
Through generous support from the Melville Charitable Trust, TAC works in partnership with the Washington DC-based Consortium for Citizens with Disabilities (CCD) Housing Task Force to expand housing opportunities for the lowest income people with disabilities. TAC has led numerous successful policy and advocacy campaigns to improve the federal government's response to these needs including:
- Legislation which modernized and revitalizated HUD's Section 811 Supportive Housing for Persons with Disabilities program, quadrupled the number of new units created annually without increasing appropriations, and codified an innovative systematic state-driven approach to permanent supportive housing.
- Appropriation by Congress of approximately 70,000 new Housing Choice Vouchers specifically for people with disabilities;
- HUD/HHS initiatives targeting HUD housing resources to high priority populations to end homelessness and reduce state reliance on restrictive and institutional settings for people with disabilities;
- Bi-annual publication of Priced Out, a nationwide study of the housing affordability problems experienced by non-elderly people with disabilities receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI); and
- Protecting the integrity and funding of the Housing Choice Voucher program, including new regulations to expand permanent supportive housing using the Project-Based Voucher program component.