Contact Link


HUD Issues FAQ Regarding the Housing Trust Fund

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) has issued the following frequently asked question (FAQ) regarding the Housing Trust Fund (HTF):


When must a State notify HUD which agency will administer its Housing Trust Funds (HTF) and how does a State designate the State agency or State-Designated Entity to administer the HTF program?


Per 24 CFR 93.100, each State is required to notify (the Secretary of) HUD of its intent to become a grantee for HTF funding within 30 days after HUD publishes the formula allocation amounts (these amounts are expected to be published by April 2016). The notification letter must also inform HUD of the name and contact information of State department/agency or State-Designated Entity (SDE) that will administer its HTF funds. At the State level, selection of a State agency or designation of a SDE to administer its HTF funds will typically be made by the Governor or State Legislature in accordance with State law. The definition of a SDE for HTF can be found at 24 CFR 93.2. If a State designates a SDE to administer its HTF funds, a copy of the designation must be included in this transmittal.

States are encouraged to designate the State department/agency or SDE that will administer its HTF funds early in order to facilitate receipt of guidance and training from HUD timely. Therefore, States may submit the above referenced notification letter any time prior to the deadline.

In the future, HUD will announce new HTF FAQs via the HUD Exchange mailing list, and post them to the HTF resource page.

For more information on the Housing Trust Fund, visit the National low Income Housing Coalition’s Website