CMS Issues Guidance to States on Facilitating Medicaid and CHIP Enrollment and Renewal
On May 17, 2013, the U.S. Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) published a letter to state Medicaid officials outlining strategies for targeted enrollment for Medicaid. The letter includes 5 recommended strategies and guidance to states on how to implement any or all of these strategies, which include:
- Early implementation of Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI)-based Rules
- Extending the Medicaid renewal period for renewals scheduled during the first quarter of calendar year (CY) 2014 (January 1, 2014 - March 31, 2014)
- Enrolling individuals into Medicaid based on Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) eligibility
- Enrolling parents into Medicaid based on children's income eligibility
- Adopting 12-month continuous eligibility for parents and other adults
States may qualify for enhanced federal match to implement systems changes that help streamline the enrollment process, depending on specific system criteria.
For more information read the full CMS Letter.
Learn about TAC's Health Reform work.